This cute couple are my Son Daniel and his new Wife Erika.
They got married last June.
Before they got married, Daniel had a great idea for his Wedding Quilt. He wanted it to be Adam and Eve. Much discussion was made over this quilt, from what should be in it to how it should be constructed. My kids thought it would be funny to do it 3D, and be able to lift up the leaves. However, since I am the quilter, I voted for 2D. Not that I can't do 3D, I can, but .... well.... Lets just say I'm more comfortable with 2D.
We started with Daniel and Erika laying down on butcher paper, and I drew a very loose sketch of them, just like you'd draw around your own hand. The quilt is life size! Then we pulled out the camera and took some pictures of them laying down. After that, 3 months of painting started!
I painted the quilt with Tsukineko Inks, then thread painted as I quilted. This is only the 5th quilt I've quilted with my long arm, so it was interesting to do the thread painting! One thing I learned was that you can't start at the top and work to the bottom when you thread paint. I didn't baste the layers together before I started, so the back was puckered when I got done, but the front looked AWESOME!
(next time I'll use wash-away thread to baste the quilt!)
I wanted to enter the quilt into the HMQS quilt contest, but wasn't quite finished by the time the entry deadline came. I was sad, but accepted it. Much to my surprise, they extended the deadline by one week, which allowed me to finish the quilt, enter it, and drop it off! I figured that was a sign that this quilt should be in this show!
|This is me in front of the quilt. |
YES! that is a RIBBON on the Quilt!!!!
|This is a couple members of my family that came to look at the quilt! My oldest grandchild is standing by Brad, and my oldest son is by me.|